Ten O'Clock News; Gay rights clash
Gay rights supporters shout, clap, chant outside Senate chambers of President of the Senate William Bulger, urging a vote on gay rights bill. Footage of police with sitting protester whom has handcuffed himself to the Senate balcony. Courtroom officer stomps on stomach of demonstrator laying on floor. Protestors give opinions on protest and gay rights bill. Footage of demonstrators holding hands, chanting. Reporter mentions Governor Michael Dukakis as a long-time proponent of the bill. Interview with Sen. Royal Bolling Sr., who gives input on bill. Police officers wearing gloves to protect from AIDS. Clips of Senate sign above door to chamber in which bill is being discussed. Story is followed by b-roll of protesters chanting; obstructing door to chambers. Police and Senate officials interact with protesters.
- Ten O'Clock News
Gay rights clash
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Bolling, Royal, Sr., 1920-2002
- Massachusetts. General Court. Senate
- Massachusetts State House (Boston, Mass.)
- Bulger, William M.
- Gay rights
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Bolling, Royal, Sr., 1920-2002 (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Gay rights clash,” 01/04/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 18, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D762D0EA5E9447CFA9EDF664FA40F243.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Gay rights clash.” 01/04/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 18, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D762D0EA5E9447CFA9EDF664FA40F243>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Gay rights clash. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D762D0EA5E9447CFA9EDF664FA40F243