Ten O'Clock News; Dapper O'Neil interview
Interview with Albert "Dapper" O'Neil during his run for Suffolk County sheriff. He accuses his oppenent of corruption and complains that no Boston newspapers will report the negative allegations he has made against his opponent. He discusses his plan to make the sheriff's department more visible and says "I'm a law and order man." He discusses his plan for the Charles St. Jail. He defends the office of the sheriff in the face of claims that the state should take over its responsibilities. He accuses the current sheriff of patronage and speaks against it in his campaign. He expresses his conservatism against the liberalism of the current sheriff., which includes his position against furloughs and halfway houses. He explains how he got the nickname "Dapper." He explains why he thinks former mayor and governor James Curley is the greatest man that ever lived. Video dropout in the middle of the video.
- Ten O'Clock News
Dapper O'Neil interview
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- O'Neil, Albert L., 1920-2007
- Law enforcement
- Political campaigns
- Curley, James Michael, 1874-1958
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Griffith, Gary (Reporter)
- O'Neil, Albert L., 1920-2007 (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Dapper O'Neil interview,” 09/07/1978, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 21, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D65439CCEA874A51B26346549292B060.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Dapper O'Neil interview.” 09/07/1978. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 21, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D65439CCEA874A51B26346549292B060>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Dapper O'Neil interview. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D65439CCEA874A51B26346549292B060