Ten O'Clock News; Young endorses King
Andrew Young (Mayor of Atlanta) endorses Mel King (candidate for Mayor of Boston) at a press conference at Northeastern University. Jim King (Senior Vice President, Northeastern University) introduces Young. Young talks about King's candidacy for mayor of Boston. King says that he and Young have discussed ideas for local job creation and for trade between local businesses and third world markets. In response to audience questions, Young talks about his recommendation that King set up a trade mission to export local manufactured goods. King discusses the value of his endorsement of King and the differences among the political situations in Boston, Chicago, and Philadelphia. Young says that he does not consider Boston to be a racist city. Young talks about the potential impact of the African American community on the election outcome. Young refuses to comment on the the presidential campaign of Jesse Jackson.
- Ten O'Clock News
Young endorses King
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American politicians
- King, Mel
- Urban policy
- Political campaigns
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.)
- Young, Andrew, 1932-
- International trade
- Race relations
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Young endorses King,” 09/22/1983, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 16, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D58E214825CB4F15A1D627D383822928.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Young endorses King.” 09/22/1983. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 16, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D58E214825CB4F15A1D627D383822928>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Young endorses King. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D58E214825CB4F15A1D627D383822928