Ten O'Clock News; Black mayors, Bruce Bolling
Harold Washington (Mayor of Chicago) and W. Wilson Goode (Mayor of Philadelphia). The city of Hartford, Connecticut has elected Carrie Perry, an African American woman, as mayor of the city. Marcus Jones notes that Hartford is the only major city in New England with an African American mayor. Jones' report includes footage of Perry at a polling station and at a press conference. Jones reports that Bruce Bolling (Boston City Council) is seen as having the best chance at becoming Boston's first African American mayor. Interview with Bolling, who says that he might run for mayor someday, but that he is concentrating on his agenda in the City Council. Jones notes that Bolling differed with Mel King (candidate for Mayor of Boston in 1983) and other African American community leaders over the issue of Roxbury's secession from Boston. Footage of Bolling, King, Andrew Young (Greater Roxbury Incorporation Project) and Charles Stith (Union United Methodist Church) on the Phil Donahue Show in 1986. Jones notes that the minority community in Boston is becoming impatient for an African American mayor. Interviews with Charles Weeks (Black Political Task Force) about the chances of Boston electing an African American mayor.
- Ten O'Clock News
Black mayors, Bruce Bolling
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American women
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- African American politicians
- Municipal governments
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012
- Hartford (Conn.)
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012 (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Black mayors, Bruce Bolling,” 11/04/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 22, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D4B96A3233904BAE9731936EB078FA4B.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Black mayors, Bruce Bolling.” 11/04/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 22, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D4B96A3233904BAE9731936EB078FA4B>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Black mayors, Bruce Bolling. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D4B96A3233904BAE9731936EB078FA4B