Eyes on the Prize II: A Special Presentation of American Experience; Two Societies (1965-1968)
SD-Base. Broadcast version. No cc/dvs. EPRZ 102
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Eyes on the Prize II: A Special Presentation of American Experience
- Two Societies (1965-1968)
- Program Number
- Series Description
Sundays February 3- 24, 2008
Nearly two decades after its 1990 premiere, the groundbreaking second season of "Eyes on the Prize" returns to PBS as a special presentation of AMERICAN EXPERIENCE in February 2008 in honor of Black History Month. The series documents the journey of black Americans seeking justice, power and identity, from the mid-1960s to the mid-1980s, and shows the profound effect this movement had on all Americans. Through historical footage and interviews, "Eyes on the Prize" examines the triumphs and failures of individuals and communities eager to give flesh to the movement's hard-won gains. The series also probes the transition to a more challenging time in America's social history. Series release date: 2/3/2008
- Program Description
Martin Luther King Jr. and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) come north to help Chicago's civil rights leaders in their nonviolent struggle against segregated housing. Their efforts pit them against Chicago's powerful mayor, Richard Daley. When a series of marches through all-white neighborhoods draws violence, King and Daley negotiate, with mixed results. In Detroit, a police raid in a black neighborhood sparks an urban uprising that lasts five days, leaving 43 people dead. The Kerner Commission finds that America is becoming "two societies, one black, one white, separate and unequal." President Lyndon Johnson, who appointed the commission, ignores the report.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Social Issues
- Race and Ethnicity
- Chicago: “Eyes on the Prize II: A Special Presentation of American Experience; Two Societies (1965-1968),” 10/04/2007, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 24, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D46A9A1DB4394812908B76CFDF8161B6.
- MLA: “Eyes on the Prize II: A Special Presentation of American Experience; Two Societies (1965-1968).” 10/04/2007. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 24, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D46A9A1DB4394812908B76CFDF8161B6>.
- APA: Eyes on the Prize II: A Special Presentation of American Experience; Two Societies (1965-1968). Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D46A9A1DB4394812908B76CFDF8161B6