War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Safeguard ABM Site
Part of War and Peace in the Nuclear Age.
Aerials and shots from the ground of Safeguard Anti-Ballistic Missile Site in North Dakota. Shots of Missile Site Radar (MSR), Remote Sprint Launch (RSL) sites, intake/exhaust stacks for Missile Site Power Plant, the compound, and surrounding North Dakota landscape. Additional shots of locked chain-link feces surrounding site and no trespassing signs.
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- War and Peace in the Nuclear Age
Safeguard ABM Site
- Series Description
The first atomic explosion in the New Mexico desert on July 16, 1945, changed the world forever. This series chronicles these changes and the history of a new era. It traces the development of nuclear weapons, the evolution of nuclear strategy, and the politics of a world with the power to destroy itself.
In thirteen one-hour programs that combine historic footage and recent interviews with key American, Soviet, and European participants, the nuclear age unfolds: the origin and evolution of nuclear weapons; the people of the past who have shaped the events of the present; the ideas and issues that political leaders, scientists, and the public at large must confront, and the prospects for the future. Nuclear Age highlights the profound changes in contemporary thinking imposed by the advent of nuclear weapons. Series release date: 1/1989
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- North Dakota
- Nuclear weapons
- Grand Folks, ND
- Global Affairs
- War and Conflict
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Safeguard ABM Site,” 08/06/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 21, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D2B835E03E51407CA8E07B7762D6A42C.
- MLA: “War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Safeguard ABM Site.” 08/06/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 21, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D2B835E03E51407CA8E07B7762D6A42C>.
- APA: War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Safeguard ABM Site. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D2B835E03E51407CA8E07B7762D6A42C