Ten O'Clock News; TOCN show tape
Reporter Christopher Lydon talks about presidential campaign. Reporter Gail Harris reports on President Ronald Reagan's press conference about an environmental report; footage of Lieutenant Governor John Kerry, David Bartley, and Congressman James Shannon (all candidates for US Senate) commenting on acid rain. Bartley says Kerry and Shannon are not doing enough about acid rain. Harris reports on new seat belt and air bag regulations. Lydon presents mobster Raymond Patriarca obituary, compares Patriarca to "The Godfather." Harris reports on new technology for detecting cancer. Footage of South Norfolk Council for Children representative Cathy Wheeler telling story of "Angie." Reporter Meg Vaillancourt gives stats for residential programs for youth with mental health issues. Footage of New Bedford Council for Children representative Jean Peterson talking about budget. Philip Johnston, human services secretary talks about state of children's mental healthcare. Dr. Eli Newberger (of Children's Hospital) testifies on state funding of mental health support services for children. Dr. Michael Jellinek (Chief of Child Psychology at Mass. General Hospital) talks about budget. Vaillancourt talks about growing difficulty of mental health over time. Charles Fried (Harvard Law School) and Anthony Lewis (New York Times) studio interview on Supreme Court at term's end: apparently conservative trend and states' rights inclination in recent decisions. Broadcast ends with international news: OPEC; Libyan bombing; dock worker strike in Great Britain; correspondent in England talks about economic situation of British Pound Sterling.
- Ten O'Clock News
TOCN show tape
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- United States. Supreme Court
- Shannon, James Michael, 1952-
- Kerry, John, 1943-
- Medical care
- Politics and government
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Harris, Gail (Reporter)
- Kerry, John, 1943- (Speaker)
- Lydon, Christopher (Reporter)
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Shannon, James Michael, 1952- (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; TOCN show tape,” 07/11/1984, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 19, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D27130830D4041DB9A1B2CB728E4B98F.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; TOCN show tape.” 07/11/1984. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 19, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D27130830D4041DB9A1B2CB728E4B98F>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; TOCN show tape. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D27130830D4041DB9A1B2CB728E4B98F