Ten O'Clock News; Minority failure rate
David Boeri reports that the Massachusetts Advocacy Center released statistics indicating that the student failure rate in the Boston Public Schools has increased by 24 percent. Boeri notes that school officials have raised promotion standards but that students are unprepared. Boeri interviews Anne Wheelock (Massachusetts Advocacy Center) and Robert Schwartz (Director, Boston Compact) about the failure rate in the schools. Wheelock says that the schools must create a climate which allows all students to succeed. Wheelock says that non-promotion will cause an increase in the drop-out rate. She adds that schools must provide remedial services for at-risk students. Schwartz says that a high school diploma must signify a minimum amount of achievement on the part of students. Schwartz admits that schools need to do more to help at-risk students. Boeri analyzes that failure statistics for African American and Latino students. Boeri's report is accompanied by footage of students exiting a school and by footage of students in a classroom.
- Ten O'Clock News
Minority failure rate
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School management and organization
- Segregation in education
- Civil rights
- African American students
- Race relations
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Boeri, David (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Minority failure rate,” 06/20/1986, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 21, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D24BE3EAFF0442A8AADD169CEE92C044.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Minority failure rate.” 06/20/1986. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 21, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D24BE3EAFF0442A8AADD169CEE92C044>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Minority failure rate. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D24BE3EAFF0442A8AADD169CEE92C044