Say Brother; Spring Special
Part of Say Brother.
More material may be available from this program at the WGBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program has not been digitized yet or cannot be made available on Open Vault.
- Say Brother
- Spring Special
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
In celebration of the impending spring season, Say Brother presents a special program showcasing the musical talents of the many African American musicians who appeared on Say Brother during its first year on the air. The program features clips of previously filmed performances by The Stark Reality, Gladys Knight and the Pips, The Chambers Brothers, The Delfonics, Gwen Michaels, Ronnie Gill, and Sly and the Family Stone, among others.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Thomas, Carla, 1942-
- Chambers Brothers, The (Musical group)
- Ruffin, David
- Gladys Knight and the Pips (Musical group)
- Gill, Ronnie
- Patti and the Blue Bells (Musical group)
- Indigos, The (Musical group)
- Turnpikes, The (Musical group)
- Delfonics, The (Musical group)
- Lords, The (Musical group)
- Stark Reality, The (Musical group)
- Michaels, Gwen
- African American women
- African American singers
- Impressions, The (Musical group)
- African American musicians
- Race and Ethnicity
- Lathan, Stan (Director)
- Ferguson, Andrew (Associate Producer)
- Bright, Hazel V. (Associate Producer)
- Ray Richardson (Producer)
- Bright, Hazel V. (Production Assistant)
- Ferguson, Andrew (Audio)
- Spruill, Jim (Host)
- Lark, Tony (Cameraman)
- Gomez, Jewelle (Production Assistant)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Spring Special,” 03/28/1969, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 20, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D20A3D1895944D9883CEC172A34F5DC6.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Spring Special.” 03/28/1969. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 20, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D20A3D1895944D9883CEC172A34F5DC6>.
- APA: Say Brother; Spring Special. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D20A3D1895944D9883CEC172A34F5DC6