Ten O'Clock News; Harvard Law School takeover
Marcus Jones reports that fifty students at Harvard Law School have occupied the dean's office to demand an increase in minority faculty at the school. The students have presented the school with a list of demands, including the promotion of professor Derrick Bell to the position of dean of the school. Interview with Robert Wilkins of the Harvard Black Law Students Association about the lack of diversity among faculty members and about the students' demands. Interview with Derrick Bell. Students at universities across the nation are protesting racism and a lack of diversity on college campuses. Jones' report includes footage of Harvard Law students in the Dean's office and footage from Frontline of a campus protest against racism.
- Ten O'Clock News
Harvard Law School takeover
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Universities and colleges
- African American students
- Bell, Derrick A.
- Harvard University
- Employment policy
- Race relations
- Affirmative action programs
- Cambridge (Mass.)
- News Report
- Bell, Derrick A. (Interviewee)
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Harvard Law School takeover,” 05/10/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 23, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D20928CD3816400B952C6769A49A398E.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Harvard Law School takeover.” 05/10/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 23, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D20928CD3816400B952C6769A49A398E>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Harvard Law School takeover. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D20928CD3816400B952C6769A49A398E