Ten O'Clock News; Les Blancs
Carmen Fields reports that the play Les Blancs, by playwright Lorraine Hansberry will be produced by the Huntington Theater Company. The play is set in a fictitious African nation struggling for independence. Interview with Hansberry's ex-husband Robert Nemiroff, who is overseeing the production of the play. He talks about Hansberry and her work. Nemiroff says that Hansberry's play foreshadows the revolutionary changes that would take place in Africa in the 1960s. He says that much of her work revolved around the relationship between the oppressed and their oppressors. Fields reviews Hansberry's career. She notes that Nemiroff is gathering materials for a Hansberry Library Collection. Fields report includes footage from the WNET production of Les Blancs and footage from the 1961 film A Raisin in the Sun. Fields report includes footage and photographs of Hansberry and shots of advertisements for Hansberry's plays. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following items: African American school committee members criticize Flynn's school choice plan
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Hansberry, Lorraine, 1930-1965
- News Report
- Hansberry, Lorraine, 1930-1965 (Speaker)
- Fields, Carmen (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Les Blancs,” 01/16/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 19, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D0CAEAAAF357481094041EA31914AA7F.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Les Blancs.” 01/16/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 19, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D0CAEAAAF357481094041EA31914AA7F>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Les Blancs. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D0CAEAAAF357481094041EA31914AA7F