Evening Compass, The; Evening Compass
Ed Baumeister hosts an Evening Compass broadcast. Louis Lyons reports on national and international general news of the day. The rest of the broadcast is focused on school desegregation. Judy Stoia and Greg Pilkington report on the violence at South Boston High School the day before. These reports include stills and footage of protests, Louise Day Hicks with bullhorn next to William Bulger, South Boston angry crowds, helmeted police, cruisers and motorcycles, buses, exterior of South Boston High, African American students responding. Peggy Murrell reports on the reaction of the African American community to the South Boston violence, with quotes from Thomas Atkins and Mel King. Pam Bullard reports on the changes in the public opinion on desegregation since the start of school in September. Judy Stoia reports on the effect of the violence on other schools in Boston, specifically Hyde Park High School, including white students walking out. Pam Bullard reports on the legal ramifications of the violence at South Boston High School, including a hearing where black parents will request specific limitations in South Boston from Judge Arthur Garrity and the Boston School Committee's opinions on the second phase plan for desegregation. This report includes an interview with John Coakley (Boston School Dept.). Ed Baumeister reports on the silence of both Mayor Kevin White and Governor Frank Sargent on the South Boston violence. This report include footage of a September 12, 1974 address by Kevin White on violence related to school desegregation.
- Evening Compass, The
- Series Description
Premiered January 1974
The Evening Compass was a half-hour program airing Monday - Friday at 7 pm, repeated at 10:30. With co-anchormen Ed Baumeister and Louis Lyons, its purpose was to interpret news already reported elsewhere and to recognize, report and interpret news not reported elsewhere. Compass Specials were occasional broadcasts at other times that usually covered actual events as opportunities and resources permitted. Evening Compass incorporated the staff of Louis Lyons/News and Comment and The Reporters.
See Prime Time January and February 1974 for cover stories. Series release date: 1/2/1974
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Busing for school integration
- Race relations
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Stuart, Charles (Series Producer)
- Pilkington, Greg (Reporter)
- Stoia, Judy (Reporter)
- Baumeister, Ed (Reporter)
- Murrell, Peggy (Reporter)
- Lyons, Louis (Reporter)
- Bullard, Pam (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Evening Compass, The; Evening Compass,” 12/12/1974, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 16, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D07CCA41A6774E409E619158142F453A.
- MLA: “Evening Compass, The; Evening Compass.” 12/12/1974. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 16, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D07CCA41A6774E409E619158142F453A>.
- APA: Evening Compass, The; Evening Compass. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D07CCA41A6774E409E619158142F453A