Ten O'Clock News; Racial questions on police pursuit
Marcus Jones reports that Sadiki Kambon (community activist) and others have accused police of using excessive violence when pursuing African American crime suspects. He notes that Donald Johnson (shooting victim) was shot dead this evening by police while he was driving a stolen bus. Jones' report includes footage of the bus and the aftermath of Johnson's shooting. Jones notes that police have shot and killed five suspects of non-violent crimes this year; he adds that four of those five suspects were African American. Jones interviews Kambon. Kambon blames police for Johnson's death, saying that police officers would not have fired on Johnson if he were white. Kambon says that he fears for his life when interacting with police because he is an African American male. Jones reviews the case of Levi Hart (shooting victim), who was shot by police while fleeing a stolen car. Jones adds that African American communities across the nation are concerned about police behavior toward African Americans. Jones' report features footage from various sources of African Americans interacting with police and footage of race riots in Miami. Following the edited story is b-roll of the aftermath of Johnson's shooting. Police and EMTs on the scene.
- Ten O'Clock News
Racial questions on police pursuit
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Boston (Mass.). Police Dept.
- Race relations
- Law enforcement
- Discrimination in law enforcement
- Jamaica Plain (Boston, Mass.)
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Racial questions on police pursuit,” 02/06/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 23, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CFFAE9743A2746B9828A6753DEA69577.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Racial questions on police pursuit.” 02/06/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 23, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CFFAE9743A2746B9828A6753DEA69577>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Racial questions on police pursuit. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CFFAE9743A2746B9828A6753DEA69577