Africans In America; Terrible Transformation, The (1562–1750); Interview with Norrece T. Jones, 1997
Part of Africans in America.
Norrece Jones is interviewed about slavery on the basis of race, Africans' fear that the Europeans were cannibals,The Middle Passage, the horrific conditions on slave ships, Olaudah Equiano's observations of brutality, the early status of Africans in Virginia, Creoles' concern about the arrival of African slaves, the quest for freedom, South Carolina's preference for African slaves, opportunities for free blacks, black vs. white perception of freedom.
- Africans In America
- Terrible Transformation, The (1562–1750)
- Program Number
Interview with Norrece T. Jones, 1997
- Series Description
Broadcast: October 1998 This series explores the central paradox that is at the heart of the American story: a democracy that declared all men equal but enslaved and oppressed one people to provide independence and prosperity to another. The series opens in the 16th century on Africa's Gold Coast with the European and African trade, and ends on the eve of the American Civil War in 1861. Africans in America examines the economic and intellectual foundations of slavery in America and the global economy that prospered from it. The series reveals how the presence of African people and their struggle for freedom transformed America. Series release date: 10/1998
- Program Description
101 The Terrible Transformation (1562–1750)--Examines the origins of one of the largest forced human migrations in recorded history. After the arrival of the first Africans in Virginia in 1619, the British colonies laid the groundwork for a system of racial slavery which generates profits that ensure the colonies' growth and survival. Producers: Orlando Bagwell and Susan Bellows.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Race and Ethnicity
- Smith, Llewellyn (Series Producer)
- Jones, Norrece T. (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “Africans In America; Terrible Transformation, The (1562–1750); Interview with Norrece T. Jones, 1997,” 02/22/1997, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 19, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CDDFA79B3D6A4F6CAF090F93B72EBACB.
- MLA: “Africans In America; Terrible Transformation, The (1562–1750); Interview with Norrece T. Jones, 1997.” 02/22/1997. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 19, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CDDFA79B3D6A4F6CAF090F93B72EBACB>.
- APA: Africans In America; Terrible Transformation, The (1562–1750); Interview with Norrece T. Jones, 1997. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CDDFA79B3D6A4F6CAF090F93B72EBACB