Ten O'Clock News; Boston School Report
Evening Compass special. Press conference at Boston City Hall during the second week of Phase I desegregation of Boston schools. Frank Tivnan (Director of Communications for Mayor Kevin White) introduces the speakers at the press conference. John Coakley (Boston School Department) gives school attendance figures and analyzes trends in attendance. Robert Kiley (Deputy Mayor, City of Boston) reports that sixteen people were arrested in South Boston and Roslindale today. Kiley voices his concern about the number of young people involved in violent incidents. Joseph Jordan (Superintendent, Boston School Department) and Charles Barry (Deputy Superintendent, Boston Police Department) report that a bus was stoned while passing the Old Colony Housing Project in South Boston. Jordan and Barry report that 200 people were gathered outside of the housing project in the afternoon. Jordan is optimistic that the tension in South Boston will abate. The officials take questions from reporters about school attendance, police tactics in South Boston and the safety of bus routes.
- Ten O'Clock News
Boston School Report
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Busing for school integration
- Race relations
- Police patrol
- School attendance
- Press conferences
- Arrest (Police methods)
- Boston (Mass.). Police Dept.
- Boston (Mass.). School Committee
- Jordan, Joseph M.
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Jordan, Joseph M. (Speaker)
- Baumeister, Ed (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Boston School Report,” 09/13/1974, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 22, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CD3C2979838D46EF8131B4C29A96719B.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Boston School Report.” 09/13/1974. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 22, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CD3C2979838D46EF8131B4C29A96719B>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Boston School Report. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CD3C2979838D46EF8131B4C29A96719B