Ten O'Clock News; Black officials in white suburbs
Marcus Jones reports on the emergence of African American elected officials in the predominantly white suburbs of Boston. Gretchen Underwood was elected to the Wellesley Town Meeting as a member of the recently formed Wellesley African American Coalition. The coalition was formed after an incident of harassment in Wellesley involving Dee Brown of the Boston Celtics. Virginia Nelson placed second out of fourteen candidates in the Milton elections. Selectman Charles McKenney will become the chairman of the Ayer Board of Selectmen next year. Interview with Underwood and Nelson about their experiences as African American elected officials in the suburbs. Underwood talks about African American political action groups in other suburbs. Jones's report is accompanied by footage of McKenney and footage of the towns of Wellesley and Milton. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Carmen Fields interviews Libertarian candidate Richard Boddie
- Ten O'Clock News
Black officials in white suburbs
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- African American politicians
- Municipal government
- Race relations
- Ayer (Mass.)
- Milton (Mass.)
- Wellesley (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Black officials in white suburbs,” 04/22/1991, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 28, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CD118E879AC54EA9A4DB6ABB15E01838.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Black officials in white suburbs.” 04/22/1991. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 28, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CD118E879AC54EA9A4DB6ABB15E01838>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Black officials in white suburbs. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CD118E879AC54EA9A4DB6ABB15E01838