Ten O'Clock News; Budget for Dukakis proposals?
Meg Vaillancourt reports that Jesse Jackson has challenged Michael Dukakis to come out with a budget for his proposed domestic programs, during a campaign debate. Dukakis has refused to release a budget so far. Interview with Issues Dirextor for the Dukakis campaign, Christopher Edley, who says that Dukakis is an experienced chief executive and that he does not need to release a budget during a presidential campaign. Vaillancourt reviews Dukakis's proposals on day care, affordable housing, and drugs. She notes that he has not talked about a budget for these proposals. Interview with community activist and Jackson supporter Mel King, who also supports Jackson in his demand for Dukakis's budget. Dukakis has talked about funding for his education proposals and for his "Rebuild America" proposal. Vaillancourt reviews Dukakis' budget priorities and notes that he would fund increases in domestic funding through cuts in the defense budget. Vaillancourt reviews the events of Dukakis's first term as Governor of Massachusetts. She notes that a massive state debt forced Dukakis to raise taxes and cut spending.
- Ten O'Clock News
Budget for Dukakis proposals?
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American politicians
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1988
- Political campaigns
- Campaign debates
- King, Mel
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Budget for Dukakis proposals?,” 04/25/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 26, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CC047AC4D3A64D63A829B8CFBFA70C8F.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Budget for Dukakis proposals?.” 04/25/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 26, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CC047AC4D3A64D63A829B8CFBFA70C8F>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Budget for Dukakis proposals?. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CC047AC4D3A64D63A829B8CFBFA70C8F