Say Brother; Community Organization
Part of Say Brother.
More material may be available from this program at the WGBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
This program has not been digitized yet or cannot be made available on Open Vault.
- Say Brother
- Community Organization
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Program focuses on the work of five community organizations in the Boston area: the Cooper Community Center, a social services agency located in Boston's South End that provides senior citizen, youth and daycare programs; the Bromley Heath Security Patrol, a private program for the tenants of the Bromley Heath Projects that provides mandatory grounds and building security checks; the Roxbury Action Program, a community development corporation working on housing development, housing rehabilitation, commercial development, social services, and physical and social planning; the F.I.R.S.T. Incorporated Drug Rehabilitation and Prevention Center; and the Columbia Point Educational Program, a youth educational services program for residents of Columbia Point.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Cooper Community Center (Boston, Mass.)
- Civil rights
- Lawrence, Tytyne
- Wade, National
- Human services--Massachusetts--Boston
- Roxbury Action Program (Boston, Mass.)
- Boyd, Douglas
- Harris, Emil
- FIRST Incorporated Drug Rehabilitation and Prevention Center (Boston, Mass.)
- Morrison, George
- Young, Sandy
- Columbia Point Educational Program (Boston, Mass.)
- Bromley Heath Security Patrol (Boston, Mass.)
- Race and Ethnicity
- White, Conrad (Director)
- Topper Carew (Producer)
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara (Associate Producer)
- Jones, Vickie (Associate Producer)
- Johnson, Henry (Filmmaker)
- Nicholas , Huntley, Jr. (Film Sound)
- Carew, Topper (Host)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Community Organization,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 17, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CBF05D5CA8034FAEA38043C60067B20B.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Community Organization.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 17, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CBF05D5CA8034FAEA38043C60067B20B>.
- APA: Say Brother; Community Organization. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CBF05D5CA8034FAEA38043C60067B20B