Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie; India and Vietnam: Complex Cuisine
India & Vietnam: Complex Cuisine Letterbox
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie
- India and Vietnam: Complex Cuisine
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiere October 8, 2006
The edgy and provocative Gourmet’s Diary of a Foodie provides exclusive entrée into the passionate inner circle of the food world to uncover the latest cutting-edge food trends, must-use ingredients, kitchen gadgets and food destinations. The 20-part series affords viewers privileged access to an arsenal of trusted industry journalists and epicurean experts who deliver compelling food stories from all around the globe. From street food in Shanghai to a "flameless" restaurant in Spain, Gourmet’s Diary of a Foodie mixes travel with food to explore, inform and entertain.
Looking at the world food-first, Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie is a sophisticated, high-end series that introduces viewers to a feast of cutting-edge food trends, exotic ingredients, and in-the-know food players on an international level. Expanding on the lessons learned during the show's travels, Gourmet Editor-in-Chief Ruth Reichl, along with a supporting staff of Gourmet's renowned food editors, go inside the magazine's test kitchens to show viewers how they can bring this diverse culinary landscape into their own homes.
Produced by WGBH and Zero Point Zero Productions in association with Gourmet magazine and Discovery Networks International, and exclusively sponsored by TIAA-CREF. Series release date: 10/8/2006
- Program Description
Episode 42 Travel to India and Vietnam and learn how the sophisticated cooking traditions and exotic spices of these countries make their regional cuisines so complex. In Hyderabad, India, discover the intricate process of cooking mutton biryani with a richly seasoned recipe that dates back to the 18th century. In the coastal city of Mangalore, experience the luxury of kane rawa, a spicy seafood delicacy made with a meat-eating fish. Then journey to Vietnam and learn the art of making chao, the country's pungent version of pickled tofu. And enjoy an elegant lunch full of exotic fruits from the Mekong Delta. In the Gourmet test kitchen, Gourmet editor in chief Ruth Reichl shares a quick recipe for Indian chicken vindaloo anyone can make and food editor Ian Knauer explains how to layer flavors to create a Vietnamese chicken and pineapple soup.
RECIPES Chicken Vindaloo Pummelo Salad Rawa Fish Fry Vietnamese Chicken and Pineapple Soup
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Collins, Christopher (Series Producer)
- Zero Point Zero Productions (Series Producer)
- Tenaglia, Lydia (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie; India and Vietnam: Complex Cuisine,” 11/24/2008, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 23, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CBE677E33021476F870E965D16850D51.
- MLA: “Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie; India and Vietnam: Complex Cuisine.” 11/24/2008. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 23, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CBE677E33021476F870E965D16850D51>.
- APA: Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie; India and Vietnam: Complex Cuisine. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CBE677E33021476F870E965D16850D51