Ten O'Clock News; Rushing vs. Duffy
Marcus Jones reports that State Rep. Byron Rushing and Republican candidate Mike Duffy are competing for the state representative seat in the ninth Suffolk District. Interviews with both Rushing and Duffy. Rushing accuses Duffy of lying about Rushing's political record. Rushing says that Duffy cannot find issues on which to challenge him. Duffy says that Rushing is arrogant and out of touch with his constituents. Duffy calls Rushing presumptuous for declaring himself "the lesbian and gay candidate." Duffy is openly gay in a district with a high percentage of gay and lesbian voters. Rushing has been endorsed by several gay and lesbian activists. He adds that lesbian and gay voters may decide the race. Jones reviews the candidates' positions on the issues. Jones notes that Rushing must prove himself to voters. He adds that there is hostility toward incumbents on the part of many voters during this election season. Jones report is accompanied by footage of both candidates campaigning and by footage of both candidates at their campaign headquarters. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Winnie Mandela speaks at the Twelfth Baptist Church
- Ten O'Clock News
Rushing vs. Duffy
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American politicians
- Rushing, Byron
- Political campaigns
- Gay rights
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Rushing, Byron (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Rushing vs. Duffy,” 10/22/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 17, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CB8CFA5572CA4F03BFAD61097E0A8BFC.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Rushing vs. Duffy.” 10/22/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 17, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CB8CFA5572CA4F03BFAD61097E0A8BFC>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Rushing vs. Duffy. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CB8CFA5572CA4F03BFAD61097E0A8BFC