American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Dennis Frye 3 of 6
Part of John Brown's Holy War Interviews.
Frye talks about Starry - John Brown's men didn't hold him hostage - mistake, Starry - Paul Revere of Harpers Ferry, spreads the word, Washington - having him as a hostage empowered John Brown, Washington - his slaves guarding him, odd circumstance, Raid - why John Brown stays, Raid - John Brown's men nervous, suggest leaving, John Brown determined, Raid - John Brown's men see they're trapped, doubt John Brown, fear for lives, Personality - charismatic, he spoke you listened and obeyed, Hostages - said John Brown treated them well, protected them, Raid - John Brown's attitude not of a killer, Raid - warned men to be careful about bloodshed , Raid - John Brown different man than in Kansas, no kill attitude, Plan - John Brown controlled, attack armory (not citizens) and leave, Raid/White Flag - people intended to fight, not negotiate , Raid - John Brown didn't kill hostage in revenge, Raid - John Brown took no vengeance on hostage
- American Experience
- John Brown's Holy War
- Program Number
Interview with historian Dennis Frye 3 of 6
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
Martyr, madman, murderer, hero: John Brown remains one of history's most controversial and misunderstood figures. In the 1850s, he and his ragtag guerrilla group embarked on a righteous crusade against slavery that was based on religious faith -- yet carried out with shocking violence. His execution at Harpers Ferry sparked a chain of events that led to the Civil War.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Robert Kenner (Producer)
- Frye, Dennis (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Dennis Frye 3 of 6,” 2000, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 14, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CAFCFC0CFC90402FB82E30FBCB9AF657.
- MLA: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Dennis Frye 3 of 6.” 2000. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 14, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CAFCFC0CFC90402FB82E30FBCB9AF657>.
- APA: American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Dennis Frye 3 of 6. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CAFCFC0CFC90402FB82E30FBCB9AF657