Ten O'Clock News; School committee by appointment
Marcus Jones reports that Mayor Ray Flynn and a group of community activists have suggested replacing Boston's elected school committee with an appointed school board. Interview with Charles Stith of the Union United Methodist Church at Logan Airport. Stith talks about his upcoming trip to Philadelphia to learn about the appointed school board in that city. Flynn wants to remove politics from the government of the Boston Public School System. Press conference with Flynn and supporters. Flynn urges the citizens of Boston to join the movement to change the School Committee. Elnavia Green (parent), Bill Owens (State Senator), Reverend McCall Thomas (Charles Street African Methodist Episcopal Church) and Tony Molina (President, Bilingual Master Parents' Advisory Council) voice their support for Flynn's proposal at the press conference. Interview with John Nucci of the Boston School Committee, who says that it is not a good idea to ask voters to give up their right to vote. Jones notes that the controversy is drawing attention away from the immediate needs of the schools. Footage of a Boston School Committee meeting.
- Ten O'Clock News
School committee by appointment
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Municipal government
- Boston (Mass.). School Committee
- Owens, Bill, 1937-
- School boards
- Press conferences
- Logan International Airport
- African American religious leaders
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Owens, Bill, 1937- (Speaker)
- Flynn, Raymond L. (Speaker)
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; School committee by appointment,” 08/08/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 21, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CA310086B686453D9C287F148E8BC604.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; School committee by appointment.” 08/08/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 21, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CA310086B686453D9C287F148E8BC604>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; School committee by appointment. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CA310086B686453D9C287F148E8BC604