New Television; New Television, Episode 403
Part of New Television Workshop.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- New Television
- New Television, Episode 403
- Program Number
- Series Description
"New Television" began as a local pilot production of WNET (New York) in 1986. In 1987, WGBH signed on as co-producer, and the shows were aired in Boston and New York. In 1988 and 1989, KCET (Los Angeles) and WETA (D.C.) became producers in association. In 1991, PBS picked up "New Television," and it was broadcast nationally. The following year, the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, Ohio, replaced WNET, WETA, and KCET as co-producer with WGBH. In 1993, WGBH ceased to be a co-producer for the series, and the "home base" moved to Connecticut Public Television (CPTV) in Hartford, CT.
"New Television" commissioned, produced, and acquired programming. In its early years, "New Television" broadcast works commissioned by The Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund. Increasingly, experimental films as well as video works were broadcast as a part of this series. Many of the later episodes of "New Television" contain works that play with and deconstruct the documentary genre. Series release date: 1986
- Program Description
Features Lynn Hershman’s “Binge.”
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Eating disorders
- Body image
- Reducing diets
- Film and Television
- Hershman-Leeson, Lynn, 1941- ()
- Chicago: “New Television; New Television, Episode 403,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 20, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C9DCF5C1274C4CEB98FE0016436DB600.
- MLA: “New Television; New Television, Episode 403.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 20, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C9DCF5C1274C4CEB98FE0016436DB600>.
- APA: New Television; New Television, Episode 403. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C9DCF5C1274C4CEB98FE0016436DB600