Ten O'Clock News; Dapper O'Neil at Mapplethorpe exhibit
Dapper O'Neil visits Mapplethorpe exhibit at the Institute of Contemporary Art, to judge for himself if photos are obscene. David Ross, the museum director, greets him. Dapper takes notes on the pictures, is disgusted, threatens city council action. Interview with Dappy and an argument between Ross and Dapper over whether the city council has authority to censor ICA exhibit, since ICA is owned by BRA. B-roll follows of exteriors of ICA, police and crowds waiting for entrance, opening of the exhibit, chanting, free speech protest outside museum.
- Ten O'Clock News
Dapper O'Neil at Mapplethorpe exhibit
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- O'Neil, Albert L., 1920-2007
- Trials (Obscenity)
- City councils
- Boston (Mass.). City Council
- Art -- Exhibitions
- Art museums
- Freedom of speech
- Institute of Contemporary Art (Boston, Mass.)
- Mapplethorpe, Robert
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Boeri, David (Reporter)
- O'Neil, Albert L., 1920-2007 (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Dapper O'Neil at Mapplethorpe exhibit,” 08/01/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 22, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C7D927B15B2740E185CBF930CC48B088.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Dapper O'Neil at Mapplethorpe exhibit.” 08/01/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 22, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C7D927B15B2740E185CBF930CC48B088>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Dapper O'Neil at Mapplethorpe exhibit. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C7D927B15B2740E185CBF930CC48B088