Ten O'Clock News; Laval Wilson let go
Jan von Mehren reports that Boston superintendent Laval Wilson was let go by the Boston School Committee. Wilson attended an event honoring the partnership between the Boston Public Schools and the John Hancock Insurance Company. Interview with Sandra Willet of the John Hancock Company, who praises Wilson for his support of business-school partnerships. Wilson speaks to reporters at the event. He says that reading and math scores improved dramatically while he was superintendent. Wilson accuses the School Committee of not working with the superintendent to achieve goals. School Committee members Rita Walsh-Tomasini and Abigail Browne are in attendance at the event. Interviews with Browne and Walsh-Tomansini, who say that Wilson is not the right person to manage the Boston Public Schools. Von Mehren reports that some members of the School Committee believe that racism is behind Wilson's firing. Interview with Committee member John O'Bryant says that Wilson would have had a different experience if he were white. Von Mehren notes that O'Bryant has compared Wilson's firing to the firing of the superintendent in Selma, Alabama. Von Mehren's report features footage from a student demonstration in Selma, Alabama in 1990. Walsh-Tomasini says that race had nothing to do with Wilson's situation. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following items: Hope Kelly reviews the major events and key issues during the tenure of Laval Wilson and Meg Vaillancourt interviews Nthabiseng Mabuza about the release of Nelson Mandela
- Ten O'Clock News
Laval Wilson let go
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School boards
- Race relations
- Boston (Mass.). School Committee
- School superintendents
- Student protesters
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- von Mehren, Jan (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Laval Wilson let go,” 02/14/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 22, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C70685489DE0418B94F2CD9F9C9213E7.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Laval Wilson let go.” 02/14/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 22, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C70685489DE0418B94F2CD9F9C9213E7>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Laval Wilson let go. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C70685489DE0418B94F2CD9F9C9213E7