Advocates; Should United States foreign policy include covert action by the CIA?
Part of The Advocates.
Moderator: Marilyn Berger Advocate: Barney Frank Advocate: Margaret Marshall Witnesses: William Colby Director, CIA 1973-1976 Professor Lyman Kirkpatrick CIA Official 1947-1965 Morton Halperin Director, Center for National Security Studies Robert Borosage Institute for Policy Studies
More material may be available from this program at the WGBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
- Should United States foreign policy include covert action by the CIA?
- Program Number
- Series Description
A SERIES OF DEBATES with a moderator facilitating the discussion of national and international issues - using advocates who would introduce witnesses to support their point of view. Debates recorded at Boston's Faneuil Hall. Moderators included: Michael Dukakis; Marilyn Berger; Michael Harrington, Robert Maynard. (Premiered October, 1969; conceived by Prof. Roger Fisher.) Other participants included Barney Frank, Avi Nelson, Antonin Scalia, S.I. Hayakawa, Paul Simon, Albert Shankar, Richard Bolling, Pete McCloskey, Chester Crocker, John Anderson, Elmo Zumwalt, George Ball, John Kenneth Galbraith, William Colby, Eleanor Smeal, Phyllis Schlafly, Sam Ervin, Laurence Tribe, Daniel Schorr, Orrin Hatch, Morris Udall, Edward Kennedy, George McGovern, Jake Garn, Paul Tsongas, Alan Dershowitz. Series release date: 1969
- Program Description
Moderator: Marilyn Berger Advocate: Barney Frank Advocate: Margaret Marshall Witnesses: William Colby – Director, CIA 1973-1976 Professor Lyman Kirkpatrick – CIA Official 1947-1965 Morton Halperin – Director, Center for National Security Studies Robert Borosage – Institute for Policy Studies Co-produced with the Institute of Politics at the ARCO Forum, John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. Bears WGBH copyright.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Kirkpatrick, Lyman B.
- Frank, Barney, 1940-
- Halperin, Morton H.
- Colby, William Egan, 1920-1996
- Berger, Marilyn
- Marshall, Margaret H.
- Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Social Issues
- Public Affairs
- Kirkpatrick, Lyman (Guest)
- Frank, Barney (Guest)
- Halperin, Morton (Guest)
- Marshall, Margaret (Guest)
- Colby, William (Guest)
- Borosage, Robert (Guest)
- Berger, Marilyn (Moderator)
- Publication Information
- Supported by a grant from the Open Society Foundations.
- Chicago: “Advocates; Should United States foreign policy include covert action by the CIA?,” 02/11/1979, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 18, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C66820390D2646BC92DF67E6C124C4D1.
- MLA: “Advocates; Should United States foreign policy include covert action by the CIA?.” 02/11/1979. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 18, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C66820390D2646BC92DF67E6C124C4D1>.
- APA: Advocates; Should United States foreign policy include covert action by the CIA?. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C66820390D2646BC92DF67E6C124C4D1