Ten O'Clock News; Addicts lobby for treatment
Marcus Jones reports that drug addicts and community leaders held a demonstration in front of the Massachusetts State House, lobbying for more funding for drug treatment centers in Massachusetts. There are not enough publicly funded treatment programs to meet demand. Demonstrators hold signs and chant. Reverend Graylan Hagler and others address the demonstrators. Hagler says that access to drug treatment is a class issue. State Rep. Gloria Fox tells demonstrators to let state legislators know that drug treatment centers are needed. Interview with recovering addict David Watson about the need for treatment centers. Interview with another recovering drug addict who says that she intends to register to vote. Jones reports that the demonstrators went into the State House to register to vote after the rally, and they intend to vote against legislators who do not support their cause.
- Ten O'Clock News
Addicts lobby for treatment
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Drug abuse -- Prevention
- Hagler, Graylan, 1954-
- African American religious leaders
- Voter registration
- Fox, Gloria, 1942-
- Drug abuse -- Treatment
- Massachusetts State House (Boston, Mass.)
- African American politicians
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Hagler, Graylan, 1954- (Speaker)
- Fox, Gloria, 1942- (Speaker)
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Addicts lobby for treatment,” 05/17/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 25, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C558ED663AC34EF98820EBCF0816FB2C.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Addicts lobby for treatment.” 05/17/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 25, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C558ED663AC34EF98820EBCF0816FB2C>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Addicts lobby for treatment. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C558ED663AC34EF98820EBCF0816FB2C