Ten O'Clock News; Hyde Park High School
Audio goes in and out. Hyde Park environs. Uniformed police are stationed outside of Hyde Park High School, including horse mounted officers. Students exit the school. African American students board buses. Buses depart with police motorcycle escort. Pam Bullard interviews Hyde Park High School teachers Terry Gaskill and Hugh Mullen discuss racial tension inside the school. The students have returned to school after a recent racial disturbance. Mullen says that the school was quiet; that the students segregated themselves along racial lines. Mullen says that a small group of students is responsible for the trouble at the school. Both teachers agree that the students do not act up when the police are present in the school. Tape 1 of 2.
- Ten O'Clock News
Hyde Park High School
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Race relations
- Busing for school integration
- Hyde Park (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Bullard, Pam (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Hyde Park High School,” 09/15/1976, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed March 27, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C3493C4FBABC4F8AA84A7FC7A3343580.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Hyde Park High School.” 09/15/1976. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. March 27, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C3493C4FBABC4F8AA84A7FC7A3343580>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Hyde Park High School. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C3493C4FBABC4F8AA84A7FC7A3343580