Ten O'Clock News; Black caucus and state budget
Meg Vaillancourt reports that many African American legislators are opposed to the adoption of the latest version of the state budget proposed by the Ways and Means Committee of the Massachusetts House of Representatives. Vaillancourt reviews the proposed budget, which includes cuts in rental assistance and welfare assistance. The budget also includes cuts to the Department of Social Services and the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination. Interview with State Rep. Shirley Owens Hicks, State Rep. Byron Rushing, and Louis Elisa of the Boston chapter of the NAACP at a breakfast meeting of the Massachusetts Legislative Black Caucus. Owens Hicks and Elisa talk about the need for funding of human services. Rushing says that many voters are not opposed to new taxes to fund human services. Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee Richard Volk talks about the proposed budget in the chambers of the Massachusetts House of Representatives. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following items: Maureen Hart Hennessey of the Norman Rockwell Museum and African Americans in the paintings of Norman Rockwell
- Ten O'Clock News
Black caucus and state budget
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Massachusetts -- Economic policy
- Public welfare
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- African American politicians
- Rushing, Byron
- Massachusetts. General Court. House of Representatives
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Rushing, Byron (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Black caucus and state budget,” 02/24/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 20, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C2F32F7A1BC749DA85EFBC3A0342D6E0.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Black caucus and state budget.” 02/24/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 20, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C2F32F7A1BC749DA85EFBC3A0342D6E0>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Black caucus and state budget. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C2F32F7A1BC749DA85EFBC3A0342D6E0