Ten O'Clock News; Zwelakhe Sisulu interview
Carmen Fields interviews South African journalist Zwelakhe Sisulu about the situation in South Africa. Sisulu was jailed for two years without charges by the South African government. Footage of Sisulu celebrating with his family upon his release from jail. Sisulu discusses his confinement and the terms of his release. He talks about the government's censorship of the press, including his newspaper New Nation. Sisulu urges the US to impose sanctions on the South African government and talks about the effects of sanctions. Fields notes that F.W. de Klerk is expected to be elected the new leader of South Africa on September 6, 1989, and the black majority in South Africa is not allowed to vote. Fields's report includes footage of de Klerk giving a speech and footage of South African citizens. Sisulu says that does not believe that de Klerk will institute changes in the South African regime. Sisulu says that the black majority will not be content with negotiations. He says that the tension is great because the black majority wants a transfer of power.
- Ten O'Clock News
Zwelakhe Sisulu interview
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- South Africa
- Anti-apartheid movements
- Sisulu, Zwelakhe, 1951-
- News Report
- Fields, Carmen (Reporter)
- Sisulu, Zwelakhe, 1951- (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Zwelakhe Sisulu interview,” 05/08/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 20, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C1E023D3139D474FB2378D4C3221C544.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Zwelakhe Sisulu interview.” 05/08/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 20, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C1E023D3139D474FB2378D4C3221C544>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Zwelakhe Sisulu interview. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C1E023D3139D474FB2378D4C3221C544