Ten O'Clock News; Bernadette Devlin
Bernadette Devlin McAliskey (Irish Republican activist) holds a press conference in Boston as part of a 13-city tour of the United States. Devlin speaks about her recent candidacy for the European parliament and says that her speaking tour is intended to help defray debts incurred during her campaign. Devlin's campaign was organized around a human rights platform. Devlin notes that international organizations have condemned the human rights abuses in Northern Ireland but that the United Nations and western countries will not speak out against Great Britain. Devlin expresses cynicism towards politicians and doubts about an American political response to the situation in Northern Ireland. She equates the oppression in Northern Ireland to the inequalities that exist in the United States and notes that Irish Americans engage in oppression of African Americans in Boston. Devlin compares the dearth of Protestant support for her cause in Northern Ireland to the lack of white working class support for busing in Boston; recounts the history of the Irish conflict from the Irish elections in 1918; and discusses changes that must be made by Great Britain in Northern Ireland. Devlin discusses her activities in the years since she left parliament; the use of violence by Catholics in Northern Ireland; the death of Lord Louis Mountbatten (British official). She accuses the international press of hypocrisy; answers questions about her speaking schedule and her life in Ireland.
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ireland -- History
- Civil rights
- Political campaigns
- Kennedy, Edward M. (Edward Moore), 1932-2009
- African Americans -- Relations with Irish Americans
- Press conferences
- Irish Americans
- Carter, Jimmy, 1924-
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Bernadette Devlin,” 10/19/1979, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 27, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C1AE363487B64F9998CA756889EF0AD6.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Bernadette Devlin.” 10/19/1979. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 27, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C1AE363487B64F9998CA756889EF0AD6>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Bernadette Devlin. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C1AE363487B64F9998CA756889EF0AD6