Frames of Reference; As Quiet As
Part of New Television Workshop.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Frames of Reference
- As Quiet As
- Series Description
“Frames of Reference” was a series that began circa 1978. Half-hour shows were produced to showcase commissioned and already created works. It was around this time that the focus of the Workshop shifted, to concentrate more heavily on creating works for broadcast. During its time, “Frames of Reference” was the focus of the Workshop’s national arts programming effort. In an attempt to raise funds and foster collaboration, Workshop personnel approached and visited several public television stations nationwide. The major collaborative relationship was with WGBH’s “sister station,” WGBY (Springfield, Mass.). Among the featured artists were Meredith Monk, Remy Charlip, Trisha Brown, and Peter Campus. In 1981, “Frames of Reference” was packaged and offered to PBS, during what is known as “flex time” and was broadcast by WGBH, WNET (New York), and WGBY (Springfield, Mass.). “Frames of Reference” ended as a series ca. 1983, because of a lack of funding. Series release date: 1978
- Program Description
In this short, moody work by the Concert Dance Company, dancers strike poses around a rushing river. The dancers merge with the surrounding landscape, echoing the curves and bends in trees and river rocks. Images of the steady motion of the river and shadows playing on rocks add to the naturalistic look and feel of the work. This work was featured in two dance showcases produced for the "Frames of Reference" series -- "Dance in Open Spaces" and "A Place to Dance."
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Modern dance
- Natural areas
- Film and Television
- Dance Company, Concert ()
- Hayden, Patrick ()
- Plumb, Jim Wolf, Deborah ()
- Grose, Danny ()
- Pettit, Faith ()
- Asnes, Ann ()
- Chicago: “Frames of Reference; As Quiet As,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 25, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C0B131A2DCCA4974B97F90C79EB00F3D.
- MLA: “Frames of Reference; As Quiet As.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 25, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C0B131A2DCCA4974B97F90C79EB00F3D>.
- APA: Frames of Reference; As Quiet As. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C0B131A2DCCA4974B97F90C79EB00F3D