La Plaza; Frida Kahlo: A Painter’s Painter
Frida Kahlo: Portrait
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Frida Kahlo: A Painter’s Painter
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
La Plaza series host Raquel Ortiz introduces a film portrait of Frieda Kahlo by David and Karen Crommie. At conclusion of film, Ortiz discusses Kahlo’s importance with in studio guest Hayden Herrera, art historian, critic, and freelance curator, who curated the 1978 Frieda Kahlo exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago. Program is in English with Spanish subtitles, 1980.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Frida Kahlo: A Painter’s Painter,” 12/29/1998, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 14, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C0652C3B99CC4121ACBEAE7E986B960F.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Frida Kahlo: A Painter’s Painter.” 12/29/1998. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 14, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C0652C3B99CC4121ACBEAE7E986B960F>.
- APA: La Plaza; Frida Kahlo: A Painter’s Painter. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C0652C3B99CC4121ACBEAE7E986B960F