American Experience; Nixon; Quang Tri ARVN retreat, 1972
Part of The Vietnam Collection.
1) Refugees on road. Burning headquarters. ("3rd VN Division in retreat - on road south from Dong Ha to Quang Tri - Division headquarters abandoned. US advisors set fire to their own HQ."). G/A shot of helicopter. VS advisors running, with everything, guns, US flag, etc. Vietnamese civilians and soldiers running along road. More of refugees running, crossing bridge, old man, low angle. (45' to 86652 sound on film). 2) Girl riding water buffalo, crying boy. Troops hanging on, side of truck. Head-on shot, masses of people to camera. (40' to 86736 sound on film). 3) Helicopter on ground. More of GIs running (same men as earlier). Helicopters landing to evacuate and more refugees. Quite good. Vietnamese man herding cows along road with an umbrella. (34' to 86803). 4) Group of GIs running to helicopter on muddy ground - one with kit bag, on hurrying others along. Good atmosphere, seen partly through roll of barbed wire... Burning headquarters - flames. Refugees and kids running. Cows and medics van. Flames and helicopter takes off - down draft blows hats off refugee woman on road. (70' to 86958 sound on film) 5) ARVN (Army of the Republic of Vietnam) soldier running against stream of people along road, confused and frightened. (10' to 86978 sound on film). 6) Closer shots of refugees. Good of troops mixed with civilians. (20' to 87013 sound on film). 7) US advisors (Airborne), tensely looking at map on road with ARVN officers. GI on field phone near ARVN troops. ARVN in field, on patrol, with gear (30' sound on film).
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- American Experience
- Program Number
Quang Tri ARVN retreat, 1972
- Series Description
Premiered October 1988 As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award. Series release date: 10/1988
- Program Description
In this three-hour presentation, Richard Nixon's life and political career are reassessed primarily by those who knew him best. The program chronicles his life from boyhood in Yorba Linda, California, through his days as a young Congressman to his presidency where he astounded the nation with his foreign policy initiatives and then left office in disgrace.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- United States--History--1945-
- Vietnam (Republic)
- Migration and refugees
- United States--History, Military--20th century
- Vietnam (Republic)
- Quang Tri (Vietnam : Province)
- United States.--Armed Forces
- ARVN (Army of the Republic of Vietnam)
- Barbed wire
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975
- Quang Tri, Vietnam
- Publication Information
- ABC News VideoSource
- Rights Summary
Footage courtesy of ABC News Rights Holder: ABC News VideoSource (http://abcnews.go.com)
- Chicago: “American Experience; Nixon; Quang Tri ARVN retreat, 1972,” 04/04/1972, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed May 23, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_BDD1F0E0445B4DA8ADD72AC476ED38B4.
- MLA: “American Experience; Nixon; Quang Tri ARVN retreat, 1972.” 04/04/1972. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. May 23, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_BDD1F0E0445B4DA8ADD72AC476ED38B4>.
- APA: American Experience; Nixon; Quang Tri ARVN retreat, 1972. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_BDD1F0E0445B4DA8ADD72AC476ED38B4