Ten O'Clock News; South Boston High teachers
No audio at the beginning. Horse-mounted police officers, police cars, police bus. Police officers are gathered along G Street outside of South Boston High School. Exteriors of the school building. School buses, accompanied by a police motorcycle escort, pull up outside of the school. African American and white students exit the school. White students walk away from the school. African American students board the buses. The buses depart. Pam Bullard interviews four South Boston High School teachers: Jerry Power, Bob Healey, Bob Donovan, and Paul Grueter. The four teachers says that conditions in the school are improving, despite negative reports in the media. Donovan says that Judge Arthury Garrity (federal judge) is among those receiving inaccurate reports about the school. They discuss some of the good things that they think are happening in South Boston High despite the racial tensions.
- Ten O'Clock News
South Boston High teachers
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Police patrol
- School integration
- Busing for school integration
- Boston (Mass.). Police Dept.
- School buildings
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Bullard, Pam (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; South Boston High teachers,” 11/01/1976, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 20, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_BC4C4963270046E790BA864E98BADF3D.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; South Boston High teachers.” 11/01/1976. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 20, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_BC4C4963270046E790BA864E98BADF3D>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; South Boston High teachers. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_BC4C4963270046E790BA864E98BADF3D