Ten O'Clock News; Black Atlantans for Jackson
Christy George reports from Atlanta on African American residents' views of the Democratic presidential ticket and the Democratic National Convention. George notes that Michael Dukakis needs to show African American voters that he wants their support. Interviews with employees and customers at the Auburn Rib Shack. The interviewees support Jesse Jackson and hope that Jackson will be named as Dukakis's running mate. George notes that both Dukakis and Lloyd Bentsen have good records on civil rights and that Jackson's supporters may be waiting for Jackson to throw his support behind Dukakis. Interviews with African Americans in Atlanta about Jackson and Dukakis. Many interviewees are skeptical about Dukakis. George's report also features footage of Jackson speaking to an audience and footage of Dukakis addressing the Democratic National Convention.
- Ten O'Clock News
Black Atlantans for Jackson
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1988
- African Americans -- Civil rights
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- African American politicians
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Bentsen, Lloyd
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- Atlanta (Ga.)
- News Report
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933- (Speaker)
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941- (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Black Atlantans for Jackson,” 07/18/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed November 22, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_BBD9F178FF0740B1850EE2F5F0BE04B0.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Black Atlantans for Jackson.” 07/18/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. November 22, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_BBD9F178FF0740B1850EE2F5F0BE04B0>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Black Atlantans for Jackson. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_BBD9F178FF0740B1850EE2F5F0BE04B0