La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Junot Díaz
APT Master Conversations with Ilan Stavans Junot Díaz closed captioned APT version
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Junot Díaz
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
La Plaza showcases noted critic and author Ilan Stavans in conversation with Dominican American writer Junot Díaz, whose national bestseller, Drown, is a collection of short stories set in the places of Díaz’s childhood: the barrios of the Dominican Republic and the inner-city slums of New Jersey. Díaz’s semi-autobiographical prose about a young man searching for identity and a family struggling against its own demise offers a powerful, heartbreaking glimpse into the lives of those who must cross borders in order to seek a better life.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Junot Díaz,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 20, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_BBD99A5694824D8E8DEB837F42A32E76.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Junot Díaz.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 20, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_BBD99A5694824D8E8DEB837F42A32E76>.
- APA: La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Junot Díaz. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_BBD99A5694824D8E8DEB837F42A32E76