Ten O'Clock News; Barbara Arnwine
Hope Kelly reports that Barbara Arnwine, the Executive Director of the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights, is filing a lawsuit against the city of Boston, the Boston Housing Authority (BHA), and the department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) on behalf of public housing tenants in Boston. Mayor Ray Flynn has announced an agreement aimed at eradicating discriminatory housing practices, but Arnwine considers the agreement inadequate because it does not acknowledge that African American families were "victims" of discrimination. Arnwine says that the city of Boston and the BHA lied to African American families and that the BHA worked to keep housing projects segregated. Press conference held by Flynn, Doris Bunte (BHA), and Robert LaPlante (HUD). Interview with Arnwine in her office at the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights. She says that the city of Boston, the BHA, and HUD do not want to accept responsibility for the harm done to African American tenants and that, despite the difficulty of the struggle, racial equality is worth fighting for. Kelly reviews Arnwine's career as an activist and lawyer. Kelly's report also features footage of African American and white children playing outside of public housing projects and footage of African American students entering a Boston high school. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Carmen Fields reports on nomination papers for Bill Owens and Royal Bolling, Sr.
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American lawyers
- Actions and defenses
- Boston Housing Authority
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Arnwine, Barbara R.
- Press conferences
- Public housing
- United States. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development
- African American women
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Arnwine, Barbara R. (Interviewee)
- Kelly, Hope (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Barbara Arnwine,” 06/21/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 24, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_BA2C2799D14041CB9D2D7CD6F5F91422.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Barbara Arnwine.” 06/21/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 24, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_BA2C2799D14041CB9D2D7CD6F5F91422>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Barbara Arnwine. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_BA2C2799D14041CB9D2D7CD6F5F91422