Arthur; Do You Speak George; World Girls
WGBH COPY PBS Master
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Do You Speak George; World Girls
- Program Number
1009; 135B; 132B
- Series Description
Each of the Arthur episodes consists of two independent stories that focus on themes and events central to children's lives. Whether it's facing down a bully, worrying about a new teacher, or being the very last person on earth to lose his baby teeth, Arthur and his friends manage to solve their third-grade dilemmas with imagination, kindness and a lot of humor. "What children love about Arthur is that he feels real to them," says Carol Greenwald, WGBH executive producer. "The emotions he experiences are universal. When Arthur triumphs over something, kids think they can, too. "The series will build on that sense of empowerment by showing how Arthur and his friends use effective, age-appropriate, problem-solving skills. Bringing a book-based series like Arthur to public television will also promote reading and writing skills. Series release date: 10/1996
- Program Description
See individual titles for additional assets.
Do You Speak George
EVERYONE AT SCHOOL IS SUDDENLY SPEAKING THEIR OWN MADE-UP LANGUAGE. WHETHER IT'S THE GIRLS' SECRET CODE "OOLA" OR THE BOYS' LINGO "ARSTER-BUTHER," GEORGE CAN'T MAKE SENSE OF WHAT ANYONE IS SAYING. IS CREATING HIS OWN LANGUAGE THE ANSWER? OR CAN HE CONVINCE THE KIDS TO PUT THEIR DIFFERENCES ASIDE AND START COMMUNICATING AGAIN?
IT'S THE GRAND OPENING OF WORLD GIRL WORLD, WHICH SELLS DOLLS FROM EVERY COUNTRY, AND EVERY GIRL IN ELWOOD CITY IS THRILLED! BUT THE TRIP THERE IS LESS THAN IDEAL -- FRANCINE DOESN'T WANT TO BUY ANYTHING, MUFFY WANTS TO BUY EVERYTHING, AND SUE ELLEN IS CRUSHED TO LEARN THAT HER FAVORITE DOLL WAS DISCONTINUED. BUT MAYBE WITH SOME CREATIVITY, THE FRIENDS CAN WORK TOGETHER AND FIND A FUN SOLUTION TO THEIR RESPECTIVE DILEMMAS.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Social Issues
- CINAR (Series Producer)
- Greenwald, Carol (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Arthur; Do You Speak George; World Girls,” 04/11/2006, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 24, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B9EE425CEDD2402E936A2EAAA2E33C4F.
- MLA: “Arthur; Do You Speak George; World Girls.” 04/11/2006. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 24, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B9EE425CEDD2402E936A2EAAA2E33C4F>.
- APA: Arthur; Do You Speak George; World Girls. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B9EE425CEDD2402E936A2EAAA2E33C4F