New Television; New Television, Episode 511; Return of the Motherland
Part of New Television Workshop.
"Return of the Motherland" presents a complex compilation of Chilean mythology and politics. Using a variety of narratives, points of view, source materials, and film styles, this tale of a tragic love triangle is set against suffering and political strife. Approximate date: 1989
- New Television
- New Television, Episode 511
- Program Number
Return of the Motherland
- Series Description
"New Television" began as a local pilot production of WNET (New York) in 1986. In 1987, WGBH signed on as co-producer, and the shows were aired in Boston and New York. In 1988 and 1989, KCET (Los Angeles) and WETA (D.C.) became producers in association. In 1991, PBS picked up "New Television," and it was broadcast nationally. The following year, the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, Ohio, replaced WNET, WETA, and KCET as co-producer with WGBH. In 1993, WGBH ceased to be a co-producer for the series, and the "home base" moved to Connecticut Public Television (CPTV) in Hartford, CT.
"New Television" commissioned, produced, and acquired programming. In its early years, "New Television" broadcast works commissioned by The Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund. Increasingly, experimental films as well as video works were broadcast as a part of this series. Many of the later episodes of "New Television" contain works that play with and deconstruct the documentary genre. Series release date: 1986
- Program Description
Features “Return of the Motherland” by Juan Downey.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Politics and culture
- Downey, Juan
- Interpersonal relations
- Film and Television
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “New Television; New Television, Episode 511; Return of the Motherland,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 13, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B92437CD2D4448C28E78E36552FE4F8E.
- MLA: “New Television; New Television, Episode 511; Return of the Motherland.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 13, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B92437CD2D4448C28E78E36552FE4F8E>.
- APA: New Television; New Television, Episode 511; Return of the Motherland. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B92437CD2D4448C28E78E36552FE4F8E