Ten O'Clock News; NAACP on minority campaign issues
Deborah Wang reports on the vice-presidential debate between Lloyd Bentsen and Dan Quayle. Wang reports that the candidates failed to debate any issues related to the African American community and minority voters, and there was no discussion of drugs, urban unemployment, housing, or discrimination. Footage from the vice-presidential debate. The African American community leaders were disappointed in the debate because there were no minorities represented on the panel of questioners. Interview with Dr. Kenneth Edelin, of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, and Mickey Leland, US Congressman from Texas, about the lack of minority participation in the debate. Wang reports that the many leaders at an NAACP Legal Defense Fund luncheon were dissatisfied with the Dukakis campaign. Interview with City Councilor Bruce Bolling about the need for the candidates to address urban issues. Many minority voters supported Jackson for president. Wang notes that Dukakis will have to make an effort to bring minority voters to the polls on election day.
- Ten O'Clock News
NAACP on minority campaign issues
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Political campaigns
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- Campaign debates
- Race relations
- Urban policy
- Quayle, Dan, 1947-
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1988
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- Bentsen, Lloyd
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- News Report
- Quayle, Dan, 1947- (Speaker)
- Wang, Deborah (Reporter)
- Bentsen, Lloyd (Speaker)
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012 (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; NAACP on minority campaign issues,” 10/06/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed March 30, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B7FA1198C94C4D6A96B833876D7104E5.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; NAACP on minority campaign issues.” 10/06/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. March 30, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B7FA1198C94C4D6A96B833876D7104E5>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; NAACP on minority campaign issues. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B7FA1198C94C4D6A96B833876D7104E5