New Television; New Television, Episode 401; Going Away Party, The
Part of New Television Workshop.
"The Going Away Party," by Dan Boord and Greg Durbin, is a dramatic work about corruption among Oklahoma county officials. It is based on the true stories of incidents of corruption amongst Oklahoma's elected county commissioners.This segment is from the dramatic "reenactment," showing friends and supporters of Burrows, a commissioner sentenced to serve a jail term, at a going-away party. Approximate date: 1987
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- New Television
- New Television, Episode 401
- Program Number
Going Away Party, The
- Series Description
"New Television" began as a local pilot production of WNET (New York) in 1986. In 1987, WGBH signed on as co-producer, and the shows were aired in Boston and New York. In 1988 and 1989, KCET (Los Angeles) and WETA (D.C.) became producers in association. In 1991, PBS picked up "New Television," and it was broadcast nationally. The following year, the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, Ohio, replaced WNET, WETA, and KCET as co-producer with WGBH. In 1993, WGBH ceased to be a co-producer for the series, and the "home base" moved to Connecticut Public Television (CPTV) in Hartford, CT.
"New Television" commissioned, produced, and acquired programming. In its early years, "New Television" broadcast works commissioned by The Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund. Increasingly, experimental films as well as video works were broadcast as a part of this series. Many of the later episodes of "New Television" contain works that play with and deconstruct the documentary genre. Series release date: 1986
- Program Description
Episode 401 of the 1988 season of “New Television” features “The Going Away Party,” a dramatic work about corruption among Oklahoma county officials, by Dan Boord and Greg Durbin.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Political corruption
- Corruption investigation
- Documentaries and factual works
- Durbin, Greg
- Boord, Dan
- Film and Television
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “New Television; New Television, Episode 401; Going Away Party, The,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 20, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B7A9550A075A4C568D8FF397B8BAB8FA.
- MLA: “New Television; New Television, Episode 401; Going Away Party, The.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 20, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B7A9550A075A4C568D8FF397B8BAB8FA>.
- APA: New Television; New Television, Episode 401; Going Away Party, The. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B7A9550A075A4C568D8FF397B8BAB8FA