La Plaza; Made in Cuba Part I: Contemporary Music of Cuba
Dolby A - part 1 of 2
More material may be available from this program at the WGBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program has not been digitized yet or cannot be made available on Open Vault.
- La Plaza
- Made in Cuba Part I: Contemporary Music of Cuba
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
The first of two parts in a rare first-hand look at the rich musical life of present-day Cuba. Filmmaker Uberto Sagramoso brings us the leading starts from Havana’s and Manzanillo’s vibrant musical scene, featuring lively interviews and electrifying performances by Pablo Milanes, Los Van Van, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Arturo Sandoval, Emiliano Salvador, Adalberto y su Son, La orquesta Aragon, Original de Manzanillo, among others. First broadcast in 1992.
Spanish title: Hecho en Cuba
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Made in Cuba Part I: Contemporary Music of Cuba,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 18, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B5B99C124DAD46C4A1656080D76303D6.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Made in Cuba Part I: Contemporary Music of Cuba.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 18, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B5B99C124DAD46C4A1656080D76303D6>.
- APA: La Plaza; Made in Cuba Part I: Contemporary Music of Cuba. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B5B99C124DAD46C4A1656080D76303D6