Ten O'Clock News; Louis Elisa on urban environment
Marcus Jones interviews Louis Elisa, from the State Office of Environmental Affairs. Jones notes that Elisa is a neighborhood environmental activist in Roxbury. Elisa and Jones walk through Roxbury and Franklin Park while they talk. Elisa talks about the need for the environmental movement to open up to minorities. Elisa notes that many people do not believe that African Americans are committed to the environment. Elisa talks about his efforts to improve his own neighborhood. Elisa notes that he is trying to prevent the dumping of garbage on a nearby vacant lot. Jones and Elisa discuss the rehabilitation of Franklin Park in Roxbury. Elisa says that the Franklin Park Coalition sought corporate funding to clean up the park, leading to a public/private partnership. Elisa talks about the need to give young people access to the outdoors. He adds that access to the outdoors and recreational activities might decrease violence in the city. Following the edited story is additional footage of Elisa and Jones walking through the city as they discuss environmental issues.
- Ten O'Clock News
Louis Elisa on urban environment
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American neighborhoods
- Environmental protection
- Recreation areas
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- Franklin Park (Boston, Mass.)
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Louis Elisa on urban environment,” 04/18/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 23, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B5B4A7F6A97C4971B80645494B3C8E2C.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Louis Elisa on urban environment.” 04/18/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 23, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B5B4A7F6A97C4971B80645494B3C8E2C>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Louis Elisa on urban environment. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B5B4A7F6A97C4971B80645494B3C8E2C