Say Brother; Africa: An Overview
Part of Say Brother.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Say Brother
- Africa: An Overview
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Program focuses on the current political situation of Africa. Host Marita Rivero speaks separately with Aggrey Mbere (member of the South African National Congress and a current instructor at Roxbury Community College) and Mugelle Otieno about developing an organization by Africans for Africans to solve Africa's problems, revamping aid programs, Secretary of State Kissenger's visit to Africa, MBere's participation in the United States Civil Rights struggle, whether there are true policy changes occurring in the United States, whether liberation will occur with or without outside forces, and how Communism will factor into the struggle. Program includes the "Community Calendar."
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- United States--Relations--South Africa
- Mbere, Aggrey Mxolisi
- South Africa--Politics and government
- Civil rights
- Otieno, Mugelle
- Race and Ethnicity
- Barrow, Barbara (Associate Producer)
- Marita Rivero (Producer)
- Rivero, Marita (Host)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Africa: An Overview,” 06/07/1976, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 16, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B472039C22BB4CBBB279AE3E4721AE9D.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Africa: An Overview.” 06/07/1976. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 16, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B472039C22BB4CBBB279AE3E4721AE9D>.
- APA: Say Brother; Africa: An Overview. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B472039C22BB4CBBB279AE3E4721AE9D