Say Brother; Celebrate 76
Part of Say Brother.
More material may be available from this program at the WGBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program has not been digitized yet or cannot be made available on Open Vault.
- Say Brother
- Celebrate 76
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Program consists of a short interview conducted by Barbara Barrow with Elma Lewis (founder of the Elma Lewis School of Fine Arts and the National Center of Afro-American Artists) and footage excerpted from previous Say Brother programs featuring dance performances. Lewis discusses the ideas behind Celebrate ‘76, how it came about, how the event has strengthened the community, and who will be in this year's event. Dance performances are by members of the Dance Company of the National Center of Afro-American Artists and by Fred Johnson (Halim Adbur Rashid), a mime artist.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Celebrate '76 Dance Company of the National Center of Afro-American Artists
- National Center of Afro-American Artists
- Civil rights
- Performing arts festivals--United States
- Johnson, Fred (Halim Adbur Rashid)
- Lewis, Elma
- African American dance
- African Americans in the performing arts
- Race and Ethnicity
- White, Conrad (Director)
- Marita Rivero (Producer)
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara (Associate Producer)
- Spooner, Dighton (Researcher)
- White, Don (Audio)
- Allen, Lydia (Intern)
- Smith, Lee (Assistant Cameraman)
- Bourne, Wendell (Intern)
- MacKnight, John (Videotape Editor)
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara (Host)
- Kane, Pat (Videotape Editor)
- Cross, June (Production Assistant)
- Chigas, Basil (Stage Manager)
- Bundy, Kissette (Intern)
- Buccheri, Ron (Switcher)
- Sullivan, John (Lighting)
- Kramer, Sharon (Graphic Designer)
- Clarke, Brian (Intern)
- Floyd, Michael (Lighting Assistant)
- Hill, Rebecca (Make Up)
- Mahard, Fran (Scenic Design)
- Spangler, Jennifer (Audio)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Celebrate 76,” 06/01/1976, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 20, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B28E272CBFB6483B9153816D94EE1939.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Celebrate 76.” 06/01/1976. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 20, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B28E272CBFB6483B9153816D94EE1939>.
- APA: Say Brother; Celebrate 76. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B28E272CBFB6483B9153816D94EE1939