Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith; Taste of Democracy, The
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith
- Taste of Democracy, The
- Program Number
- Series Description
Broadcast April-May 1990.
Hedrick Smith is chief correspondent on this production which focuses on the cultural, economic and political issues in the Soviet Union today. A behind-the-scenes look at a complex country puts today’s news into the context of larger forces- social, economic, cultural and demographic- that shape the USSR’s identity and destiny. Series release date: 4/30/1990
- Program Description
The first episode captures the exhilaration of reform and renewal as Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev and his generation face the formidable challenge of transforming a political system shaped by decades of terror under Stalin and stagnation under Brezhnev. From emotion-charged sessions at the newly convened Congress of People’s Deputies to defiant meetings of a neighborhood council, this program shows how ordinary citizens are confronting powerful institutions in ways that are novel for Soviet society.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- News Report
- Global Affairs
- Smith, Martin (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith; Taste of Democracy, The,” 04/21/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 19, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B28C0523CD204858BB3B8591EA50B66C.
- MLA: “Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith; Taste of Democracy, The.” 04/21/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 19, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B28C0523CD204858BB3B8591EA50B66C>.
- APA: Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith; Taste of Democracy, The. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B28C0523CD204858BB3B8591EA50B66C