Ten O'Clock News; Frank Power press conference
Frank Power (Headmaster, Charlestown High School) holds a press conference at foot of Bunker Hill Monument. Power answers questions about opening day preparations, school attendance, and programs at Charlestown High School. He will not comment on any racial tension or incidents. Power insists that the opening day was "routine" and that he has no knowledge of any happenings outside of the building. Power compliments his staff on their performance. Power says that projected enrollment statistics are high; that he will contact students who did not attend school today. A large mass of police officers gather in front of Charlestown High School. Paul deGive interviews Power alone. Power says that he did not turn away students who were late if they had a note from their parents. Power says that he may reinstate the flexible campus program eventually. DeGive shoots cutaways. DeGive interviews parents Peggy King and Gertrude Harris in front of a building in the Bunker Hill Housing Project. King and Harris resent the police presence in Charlestown. King talks about sending her four children to schools outside of Boston in order to avoid busing assignments. Hayes says that young children should not be bused; that she will try to enroll her children in public schools in Somerville. King predicts that the situation in Charlestown will grow worse if busing continues.
- Ten O'Clock News
Frank Power press conference
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- First day of school
- Police patrol
- School attendance
- Power, Frank G.
- Press conferences
- Busing for school integration
- Charlestown (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- deGive, Paul (Reporter)
- Power, Frank G. (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Frank Power press conference,” 09/08/1975, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 21, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B01A3639CAEB47BFBBC484575BAAA009.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Frank Power press conference.” 09/08/1975. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 21, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B01A3639CAEB47BFBBC484575BAAA009>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Frank Power press conference. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B01A3639CAEB47BFBBC484575BAAA009