Advocates; Should your state assume financial control of its public schools?
Part of The Advocates.
Moderator: Michael Dukakis Advocate: Wendell Anderson Advocate: Antonin Scalia Witnesses: John Lloyd, Jr. Attorney Joel Berke School Finance Specialist Thomas Shannon Executive Director National School Board Association James Guthrie Professor of Education, UC Berkeley
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
- Should your state assume financial control of its public schools?
- Program Number
- Series Description
A SERIES OF DEBATES with a moderator facilitating the discussion of national and international issues - using advocates who would introduce witnesses to support their point of view. Debates recorded at Boston's Faneuil Hall. Moderators included: Michael Dukakis; Marilyn Berger; Michael Harrington, Robert Maynard. (Premiered October, 1969; conceived by Prof. Roger Fisher.) Other participants included Barney Frank, Avi Nelson, Antonin Scalia, S.I. Hayakawa, Paul Simon, Albert Shankar, Richard Bolling, Pete McCloskey, Chester Crocker, John Anderson, Elmo Zumwalt, George Ball, John Kenneth Galbraith, William Colby, Eleanor Smeal, Phyllis Schlafly, Sam Ervin, Laurence Tribe, Daniel Schorr, Orrin Hatch, Morris Udall, Edward Kennedy, George McGovern, Jake Garn, Paul Tsongas, Alan Dershowitz. Series release date: 1969
- Program Description
Moderator: Michael Dukakis Advocate: Wendell Anderson Advocate: Antonin Scalia Witnesses: John Lloyd, Jr. – Attorney Joel Berke – School Finance Specialist Thomas Shannon – Executive Director National School Board Association James Guthrie – Professor of Education, UC Berkeley Taped at Ohio State University, Columbus, OH. Co-produced with the Institute of Politics at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. Bears WGBH copyright.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- Scalia, Antonin
- Anderson, Wendell Richard, 1933-
- Columbus, Ohio
- Social Issues
- Public Affairs
- Scalia, Antonin (Guest)
- Anderson, Wendell (Guest)
- Berke, Joel (Guest)
- Lloyd, John (Guest)
- Guthrie, James (Guest)
- Dukakis, Michael (Moderator)
- Shannon, Thomas (Guest)
- Publication Information
- Supported by a grant from the Open Society Foundations.
- Chicago: “Advocates; Should your state assume financial control of its public schools?,” 05/20/1979, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 17, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AFEEAC375B28418CAEB54B21F919B8AA.
- MLA: “Advocates; Should your state assume financial control of its public schools?.” 05/20/1979. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 17, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AFEEAC375B28418CAEB54B21F919B8AA>.
- APA: Advocates; Should your state assume financial control of its public schools?. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AFEEAC375B28418CAEB54B21F919B8AA