Martha Speaks; There Goes the Neighborhood; Ice Scream
MSPE 122 db/MR-2 Media Operations Center PBS
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Martha Speaks
- There Goes the Neighborhood; Ice Scream
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered September 1, 2008
"Martha Speaks" is an animated series that is designed to enrich the vocabulary of 4- to 7-year-olds. The series is based on the classic books by Susan Meddaugh that have charmed and captivated millions of children. Each episode uses Martha's unique linguistic abilities and the hilarious consequences to engage kids and help build their vocabulary skills.
In each Martha Speaks episode, the characters use special words throughout the show. Explicit words, marked with (E), are defined by one of the characters on the show. Implicit words, marked with (I), are used on the show but not defined.
Produced with Studio B Productions, Inc. Series release date: 9/1/2008
- Program Description
There Goes the Neighborhood Martha can't believe that Helen and Alice are making such a fuss about a kitten. Everyone knows kittens are not to be tolerated. But could this kitten be different?
Vocabulary: (E) discriminate, prejudice, territory, tolerate, socialize, sociable
(I) buddy, pal, greet, ignore
Ice Scream Alice is shocked to discover that Truman has never actually tried ice cream. Alice thinks deciding you won't like ice cream without trying it is, well, prejudiced! Can Helen and TD find a compromise that satisfies Alice but doesn't force Truman to give in to peer pressure?
Vocabulary: (E) aversion, disgust, peer pressure, prefer, narrow–minded
(I) against, choice, dislike, flavor, like
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Sullivan, Brigid (Series Producer)
- Barss, Karen (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Martha Speaks; There Goes the Neighborhood; Ice Scream,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 17, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AFED8C3548584E1B8CE147C52B794E26.
- MLA: “Martha Speaks; There Goes the Neighborhood; Ice Scream.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 17, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AFED8C3548584E1B8CE147C52B794E26>.
- APA: Martha Speaks; There Goes the Neighborhood; Ice Scream. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AFED8C3548584E1B8CE147C52B794E26